Tullamore Show & FBD National Livestock Show is Ireland's premier agricultural event. It is Ireland's largest one-day show, averaging 60,000 visitors in recent years, it’s the premier horticultural show in Ireland.
The Bord Bia All Ireland Quality Potato Championships are held annually at the Tullamore Show in the heart of Ireland. The competition is designed to increase the level of awareness among growers of what constitutes a good quality potato.
This competition is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2022. It’s become the highlight of the growing and showing season within Ireland. The perpetual Bord Bia Cup has the names of many of Ireland’s great growers engraved onto its base and the first prize of €250.00 along with bragging rights of growing the best Potatoes in Ireland make this competition special.
Each exhibit is to consist of the following:
A dish of 6 potatoes of any variety. The variety to be correctly named. Each tuber should be free from skin blemishes, be true to type, and weigh approx. 6ozs. (170g).
This being a quality championship, the adjudicators will favour floury, high dry matter. Varieties, which are popular with the Irish customer.
Qualifying rounds will take place at shows designated by the Irish Shows Association
Fruit and veg: 'Seven a day' is the new 'five a day'
THE BORD BIA 7 A DAY BEST IN SEASON KITCHEN GARDEN ALL IRELAND
1. This competition is to encourage growers to exhibit produce from their own kitchen garden
2. In this competition the produce should be the property of and be grown by the exhibitor.
3. Each exhibit must consist of a display of fruit and vegetables excluding potatoes.
4. Not fewer than 7 kinds Not more than 10.
5. Foliage and root growth may be trimmed for display purposes and herbs may be included
6. The veg and fruit should be displayed within area not larger than 610mm x 610mm (24”x24”).
7. However, foliage and roots may extend beyond that boundary but not rest on the show bench.
THE COMPETITION WILL BE JUDGED AS FOLLOWS:
Variety: 25 points
Condition and quality: 50 points
Overall presentation and attractiveness: 25 points
Prizes; 1st €250, 2nd €150; 3rd €100; 4th €75; 5th €50; 6th €25. Entry Fee: To Qualifying Show €3. To Final €6.
The Bridge House Collection of Vegetables All Ireland
Sponsored by The Bridge House,
Tullamore, Co. Offaly. www.bridgehouse.com
Direct Entry to Tullamore Show
RULES AND CONDITIONS
1. The vegetables exhibited should be home grown, by the exhibitor.
2. The collection may contain five (5) kinds of vegetables, three (3) of each kind, apart from beans, peas and potatoes, onions and tomatoes which should have five (5) of each.
3. Cut greenery from the garden, including parsley may be used and will be classified as decoration.
4. The space required is at the discretion of the exhibitor.
5. Points will be awarded for uniformity of size, quality, freshness and artistic appearance of exhibit.
PRIZES: 1st €150 plus Bridge House Trophy: 2nd €125; 3rd €100: 4th €50: 5th €30; 6th €25.